Sunday, July 17, 2011

Craft Caddy From Scratch

This is my first summer after graduating and it has been awesome having all this free time to work on projects. Also I was recently offered a job teaching art at an elementary school near my home so I'm done with my long and stressful job quest!

I'm really into fabrics and hand stitching, and I recently got myself a cheapo sewing machine and have been teaching myself how to use it.

Colin and I share a small one bedroom apartment and workspace is limited. He has been very tolerant of my the mess that comes with my crafty hobbies, but with the addition of the sewing machine I have been taking up not only my usual craft desk but our kitchen counter as well.

I took it upon myself to build some storage for my machine and other sewing stuff. Here is a pic of my original sketch-- measurements changed a bit between the drawing and the final product. The most important elements were a space that could fit my machine and some spaces that could fit shoe boxes which are great for storing odds and ends.

To be honest, the part I am most excited about is the thread spool storage. I used dowel rods to create little pegs to fit the thread spools.

Here is a pic of the final product:

I used pine boards and primed and painted it a pale yellow afterwards. I lined a few of my shelves with this adorable fabric with a fruit print.

I've been working at a fine arts day camp at the local art center over the summer and one of projects we did with the kids was origami. I learned the paper peace crane and have been making them kind of nonstop. It's strangely addictive :) I'm thinking of making a paper crane garland to hang above my newly claimed craft space in the kitchen so I made some in coordinating colors to go with the fabric.


Needless to say I have been having a fun and productive summer thus far! Please share your latest projects and thanks for reading :)

Check me out on etsy  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment